What will your blog be all about? Your blog niche is probably the most common question you get when you tell people you’re a blogger.
It’s also a question you’ve wrestled with (or are struggling with right now): Which is the best niche for blogging? How do you choose?
While there are blogs about nearly every subject imaginable, it doesn’t mean they’re all good ones or that you shouldn’t start your own blog. Truth be told, anyone who puts the right amount of effort into choosing their blog niche can build an audience online, even if it’s about an obscure topic.
So, let’s dig in! Let’s look at how you can choose the right blog niche for your site, plus 89 of the best blog niche ideas to inspire you.
IN THIS GUIDE:
In This Guide:
- What Is a Blog Niche?
- What’s the Best Topic for Blogging?
- Why Choose 1 Blog Niche, Instead of Multiple Topics?
- How to Choose a Blog Topic
- What Are the Most Profitable Blog Niches?
- 89 Best Blog Niche Ideas
- So You’ve Chosen a Blog Niche – What’s Next?
First, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page with a simple definition…
What Is a Blog Niche?
A blog niche is the topic or subject that you’ll be writing about on your blog. More simply, it’s the answer to the question, “what’s your blog about?”
Deciding on your niche is a critical step when building a blog since it’s an important factor that determines the success (or failure) of your blog.
Choosing the right blog niche is also important if you’re interested in monetizing your blog and making money online.
What’s the Best Topic for Blogging?
That’s the million-dollar question! If you ask the big blogging gurus online, they’ll all tell you a slightly different answer.
Some say to write what you know. Others say to choose a topic you’re passionate about, and that way you’ll never run out of things to say.
Both are good advice depending on your goals!
If you’re blogging for fun, then you should choose a blog niche ideas that you’re passionate about. You don’t need to be an expert, but you should have some knowledge on the topic.
If you’re serious about making money blogging, you’ll need to choose a profitable blog niche. That means that your topic should have a large audience, and preferably one that’s willing and able to spend money on things related to that topic.
Make sure to check out this list of ways to monetize a blog before making your final decision.
Why Choose 1 Blog Niche, Instead of Multiple Topics?
When looking at blog niche ideas, it’s tempting to write about all the topics that interest you.
You might look at our list of blog niche ideas and think that blogging about all your favorites like traveling, craft projects, and board game reviews would be a great idea. After all, each topic has a large audience and you’ll never run out of interesting topics to write about!
The truth is, blogging about multiple unrelated topics isn’t a good plan.
Choosing One Topic for Your Blog Niche Is the Only Way to Build Authority In that Topic.
That’s because a big part of blogging success is building up a loyal audience.
Sure, there are lots of people who are interested in travel, and lots of people interested in board games. But there aren’t as many people who are interested in both topics, so it’ll be harder for you to build a loyal audience that wants to read all your posts.
It’ll also be harder for you to rank your blog in search engine results and get traffic from Google since Google won’t know what your site is about.
Sticking to one topic will help you to build authority as an expert on that topic, both with your audience and with search engines.
How to Choose a Blog Topic
Let’s say you decide to focus on “travel” for your blog niche.
It’ll be hard for you to compete against popular, established blogs if you’re blogging on such a general topic.
That’s why it’s important to choose a narrower topic, like budget travel, or travel to a certain region.
On the other hand, you don’t want to go TOO narrow.
When you’re choosing a niche to blog about, you want to pick a topic you can write about regularly for years to come.
An extremely narrow niche, like “hydroponic gardening fan gear,” probably isn’t going to work well in the long run.
Why? Mainly because you’ll struggle to find enough inspiration to write regularly, and you may get bored of writing about the same subjects over and over.
There just aren’t enough readers and buyers for such a narrow topic to turn into a profitable niche for you.
Instead, consider going a little broader with your blog niche. For example, think about all the different types of gardening you can do, including indoor, outdoor, urban, flowers, vegetables, sustainable, or others.
Within this wider niche, you can still include all the hydroponic fan gear you want; but you’re also expanding into other closely related gardening areas and bringing those readers and customers into your community.
Quick Stats: 4,000 Blog Posts are Published Per Minute, 5,760,000 Each Day!
With thousands of blog posts published every day, picking the right blog niche is more important than ever.
A more specific blog niche helps you stay on message and sets expectations for what your readers can expect from you.
You have to choose a specific topic or niche of focus that you’ll write about.
How Do You Go About That?
There are two approaches to picking a niche or topic for your blog:
- You should pick a topic that you are passionate about or,
- You can look for a topic that people are looking to read on.
Of course, it’s best if you can find a topic that fits both! But if you have to choose out of the two, the best approach in my opinion is to blog about a topic that a lot of people want to read about.
If you pick a topic that people are searching for, then you’ll have a good chance of getting a lot of traffic to your blog.
Once you start getting more traffic, you can then monetize your blog to earn money. We’ll get to the monetization part in the later section.
Do You Need to Be an Expert on the Topic?
A lot of people will also tell you that you need to be an expert to blog on the topic you have chosen. That’s not necessarily true!
You only need to have an honest interest in the topic you have chosen, and then you can learn about it as you go.
If you want to be an expert on a topic, ask yourself these questions;
- What topics do I know better than anyone else? It could be about anything.
- What topics do you most like to talk about, and you can comfortably talk about it for hours?
- What topics do I love to read about the most?
As a beginner just learning how to start a blog, Follow these steps;
- Among these wide niches (Fashion, Tech, Nutrition, Sports, Health, Money, Farming, etc.) which popular ones will you find yourself super interested in?
- If it’s Fashion, which areas of fashion? Is it clothing, fragrances, shoes, rings, or necklaces?
- If it’s clothing, is it corporate wears or casuals? If it is corporate wears, is it men’s corporate wears or women’s corporate wears?
- If it’s the latter, is it gowns, suits, etc.?
Now you see I’ve drilled down to be more specific. Google search engine prefers a blog which is built on a single topic.
You just have to pick a topic that you’re passionate about, one you can talk and write about without even having to take reference.
How to Know If Your Blog Topic Is Popular
The next order of business is to find out the search volume of your topic. What is search volume?
It simply refers to the number of people who are searching for your topic and related topics, with online search engines like Google.
To find out if your topic is worth blogging about, ask yourself:
- Are there other blogs on your topic?
- Are there any popular blogs that have more than 10,000 subscribers?
- Are there any popular Facebook groups on your topic?
- Are there popular books on your topic?
- Are there questions on Quora or other forums on your topic, that have a good number of views and answers?
- Can you come up with about 50 blog post topics that you’ll write over the coming months?
If most of the answers to the questions above are “yes”, then you’re on the right track!
That means that there are a good number of people out there who are interested in reading about that topic.
You can also go to Google Trends to check the overall trend of your topic. For example, take a look at this screenshot:
You’ll notice that the trend of the search term “beauty” is still going up, which means it gets searched a lot.
This means that this search term has the potential of bringing you a lot of traffic.
What Are the Most Profitable Blog Niches?
Many bloggers publish monthly income reports, they usually do that if they’re selling their info products since they’ve already demonstrated their expertise in their blog genres or topic.
You can also search for more blogging income reports in the niche you’re interested in, to get an idea of how profitable it can be.
Keep in mind, though, that only the most profitable blogs are likely to even publish income reports.
These income reports can show you whether there’s the possibility of making money in the niche.
Some people make a few hundred dollars a month, while others can generate tens of thousands.
It depends on the niche, the quality of your content, the size of your audience, and how you’re monetizing your blog.
Successful bloggers use combinations of these methods to make money off their blogs. They start with one before moving on to the next one.
That way, they can create an “income ladder” that brings in multiple income streams every month. If one stream has a down month, they still have other ones that bring in money.
Now that you’ve learned more about blog niches, how to choose one, and which are the most profitable niches for blogs, let’s take a look at some blog niche ideas you can use to start a successful blog.
89 Best Blog Niche Ideas
Now that you know how to choose the best blog niche for you, let’s dive in to our list of the best blog niches to see if any spark your interest.
General Blog Niche List
- Personal finance niches, including reducing your debt, paying down student loans, reducing expenses, investing, or cryptocurrencies.
- Health and wellness niches, including weight loss, healthy eating, mental health, and mindfulness.
- Parenting niches, including the various stages of children, the lives of moms and dads, or different parenting methods.
- Self-improvement niches, including different philosophies or styles, methods, or ideas for different age groups or demographics, and more.
- Building websites niches, including how to build sites with WordPress, Squarespace, Wix, how to design a site theme, and everything else related to websites.
- Lifestyle blog niches, including beauty and health, fashion, celebrities, alternate lifestyles like camping, preppers, and more.
Now, let’s look at some more specific blog niche ideas you could write about in this giant blog niche ideas list.
It has been broken down into the categories of blogs you could start, like travel, and then you’ll find a bunch of specific ideas you could use.
Travel Blog Niches
- City guides
- Travel tips
- Learning a new language
- Traveling for work
- Sports travel: how to travel to go skiing, snowboarding, or others
- Traveling to see your favorite sporting events such as major league sports, Olympics, or others
- Minimalist traveling
- Working while traveling
- Being a working nomad
Fitness and Sports Niches
- Yoga for specific age groups
- Crossfit training
- Cycling for beginners
- Home cycle repair
- Running and marathons
- Training for a specific sport or event
- Self-defense training for women, kids, single travelers, or others
Blog Niches for Hobbies
- Gardening for condo dwellers
- Drawing for newbies
- How to draw anime
- Learning to play the ukulele or mandolin
- Makeup tutorials and help
- Community gardening
- Creating great videos with your smartphone
Food Blog Niches
- Sparkling wines and champagnes
- Exotic cuisines: culture and tutorials
- Home-cooked meals for specific niches like frugal cooking, vegan cooking, and more
- Baking for kids
- Craft beers
- Meal planning with kids
- Meal planning for busy couples
- Food travel: learn how to cook the local cuisine while traveling
- Genre-based movie or TV review sites
- Funny pet videos
- Musical theater fans
- Opera and classical music fans
- Stand-up comedy instruction
- Upcoming events for a specific group, locale, or genre
Gaming Blog Niches
- Video game tutorials for beginners
- Game reviews for specific platforms or genres
- Game walkthroughs and tips
- Strategy games help
- Card games and board games for those who like analog gaming
Relationships Blog Topics
- Blended families
- Weddings and marriage
- Life after divorce
Green Blog Niches
- Eco-friendly homes
- Living green with a family
- Sewing your own clothes
- Canning and other “retro” food preparations that have gone out of style
- Urban commuting (walking, cycling, public transportation, or other methods)
- Living more sustainably
- Moving to the country
- Life in the country for city slickers
Education and Career Blog Topics
- Career advice for specific jobs or industries
- Career coaching
- Learning new skills to get a new job
- Study hacks for high school or college students
- Starting a side-hustle
- College planning for home-schoolers
Pet and Animal Blog Niches
- Rescue animals
- Getting a dog, cat, or other pet for beginners
- Farm animals as pets
- Working farm animals (think using goats to keep your lawn trimmed, that sort of thing)
Technology Blog Niches
- Building a mobile application
- Building a mobile application without coding
- Mobile apps for seniors
So You’ve Chosen a Blog Niche – What’s Next?
Once you’ve landed on the best blog niche idea, it’s time to secure your domain name and get hosting!
See this quick guide on how to come up with a blog name next.
Then, you can use a domain name generator and then register it for free with Bluehost (where you can also get site hosting). For a quick checklist of what’s next in your blog journey, read our blog launch checklist.
Starting a blog is hard work. You’ve got to do a lot of homework and pre-work before writing a single post.
But when you take the time to do it, you’re creating a solid foundation for your blog. You’re setting it (and yourself) up for success!
It all starts by choosing the right blog niche for your blog. A blog topic that inspires you to write regularly, has an engaged audience, and an audience that’ll buy the products you recommend or create.
Then, follow our complete step-by-step guide to start your blog today!
Have you come up with a great blog niche for your blog? Let’s have it in the comments.